The following letter was sent to United Federation of Teachers (UFT) President Michael Mulgrew with Randi Weingarten and Andy Pallotta cc’d on August 2, 2021:
To the Honorable Michael Mulgrew;
Below please find the demands from the Teachers for Choice Union caucus as regarding the weekly testing requirement in New York City Public Schools. Please take this into consideration as it represents the opinion of thousands of uft educators. We will be publishing this at our website later tonight. Thank you. Michael Kane
1. The covid vaccine will not be a requirement of employment for NYC City employees even when FDA approved.
2. NYC DOE will accept multiple different covid tests, not requiring everyone to take the same test from in-school covid testing. This includes saliva tests, as many of our members view this as less invasive.
3. Testing shall be paid for by the NYC DOE.
4. Time will be given to employees who need to test. It won’t be on the employee’s own time.
5. NYC DOE will still offer in-school covid testing to those who make the choice to utilize it.
6. All testing should be voluntary (added after email sent)